After installing some updates on a Red Hat Enterprise Linux that used only for phpMyAdmin tool, we noticed that we’re unable to access our remote MySQL databases. phpMyAdmin returns an “Error 2003 : The server is not responding”.
After some investigations I noticed that SELinux was responsible of this error. SELinux was disabled probably by error when this system was installed and was reactivated by the last software updates.
Using the SELinux booleans it’s possible to fix the issue. The SELinux booleans are policies that allow to quickly change some SELinux settings.
You can get a comprehensive list of SELinux booleans with :
And in our case, you can change these settings to allow phpMyAdmin to connect remote databases (In order for the change in booleans to be permanent instead of for just the current session, you need to pass -P with the command) :
setsebool -P httpd_can_network_connect_db on
You can allow all network access too:
setsebool -P httpd_can_network_connect on